The Lombardy Life Sciences Cluster Association was established in July 2015 by a group of businesses, research facilities, universities and business associations. It is a regional cluster made up of public and private entities operating in a variety of sectors.
The cluster is the driver for regional innovation in the Life Science sector. It represents a system able to build and manage innovation, generating networks of knowledge and competencies regarding specific purposes. It is an element of aggregation able to catalyze development processes.
The cluster aims to favor the aggregation of RESOURCES, bringing together industry, academia and clinical community to support the advance of life sciences in Lombardy.
It operates by nurturing the integration and the development of competence and technology inside WORKING GROUPS. These are essential catalyzers in the realization of innovative projects, products and processes that are at the foundation of competitiveness and of the creation of new business opportunities.
- PROMOTE RESEARCH, INNOVATION and technology transfer aimed at increasing scientific, technological and assistance levels and competitiveness on an economic and social level, improving the quality of life for citizens.
- CREATE A LOMBARD INNOVATION SYSTEM, at regional and national level, through networks connection, integration and governance of: competencies and resources of public and private bodies, management of technologies and innovation, enhancement of research, business incubation, investment attractiveness and dedicated finance.
- PLAY A KEY ROLE FOR LOMBARDY REGION for the definition of regional tools and policies.
The Working groups are essential catalyzers in the realization of innovative projects, products and processes that are at the foundation of competitiveness and of the creation of new business opportunities.
The working groups are:
- PHARMACEUTICALS : The working group is focused on Pharmaceutical research and development of innovative therapeutic approaches, new drugs as well as innovative technologies for drug discovery
- MEDICAL DEVICES : The Medical Device working group is engaged on products and technologies used in healthcare facilities for diagnosis and therapies. In particular, medical devices: Class I, IIa, IIb, in vitro diagnostic (IVD) and active implantable.
- ICT FOR HEALTH : This group works on themes like EPR (Electronic Patient Records), tele-medicine and tele-rehabilitation, medical-care applications, mobile apps and social media enablers in Dialogue Patient-Patient and Patient-Operators, IoT (Internet of Things), welfare home automation and Big-Data.
- ADVANCED THERAPY : The Advanced Therapy working group works on the theme Advanced Therapy Medicinal Products (ATMPs). In particular, advanced therapies like gene therapy, cell-based products (somatic cell therapy and tissue engineering) and compined therapies based on concurrent use of medical devices and genes, cells or tissues.
- DIAGNOSTICS : The working groups is focused on diagnostics: in vivo, in vitro and device diagnostics. The main interest of this group ranges from mode already currently in use in clinical practice to the innovative research proposals. In this context we want to pursue all those initiatives which aim to identify areas of interest on the basis of early diagnosis detection and a better use in therapy.
- NEUROINFLAMMATION : This group works on the topic of the research of the pathogenetic mechanism related to neuroinflammation in neurological diseases. The aim is the development of innovative therapeutic approches, new drugs and the development of biomarkers.